Sunday, June 10, 2007

TV Headphones

My search for a headphone to use while watching TV began when the idea was planted by a dear friend from my car club . It made sense as I like to hear the things I am watching on TV. Sometimes there is a need to turn up the volume which I do not like to do especially at night for fear of disturbing the kids sleeping or the neighbours.

My solution started with a freebie Sony over the ears which came with the Vaio notebook and an extension cord. The extension cord, about 4 meters was bought from Giant Hypermarket at a measly cost of RM 9.90. It worked but the over the ear headphones does not immerse me in the sound such that there is a need to press both on my ears at certain scenes where there are multiple sounds.

Enter the Sonic Gear HP 600, a full size over the head with comfortable padding. It comes with extra pair of pads, adaptor and volume control. My favourite feature is that the cord is the soft braided type, not the pliable plastic.

The volume control attached to the cord. Marvellous as I don't have to hold the remote in my hands, especially when watching Astro and the volume jumps up during advertisements.

The fully padded head rest (is that the correct term for the thingy that goes over your head ?)

It works well, the sound is good and fully immersive. Watching CSI, as Grissom is walking in the office, I can now hear the typing that is going on as he passes an open door, the sound of waves and wind at a crime scene etc. It is also quite comfortable such that I can use it for a full length movie without any discomfort. For a casual user (not an audiophile), the Sonic Gear HP 600 will certainly fit the bill.

Cost: RM 68.00

Of course an akg or a sennheiser will deliver better sound but it will cost so much more, an akg 44 (the lower end model) retails at RM 188.00, while a Phillips with 6 meter cord will set you back at RM 79.90. These items can be found at 1 Utama.

5 comments:

J.T. said...

I never thought of watching TV with headphones. Maybe I am afraid to do that because I won't be able to hear what's going on in the room...or if there are sounds coming from around the house. :)
I believe I will use a pair of headphones only if I am watching something the other half does not want to hear.

Thanks for the review. Good to know that the Sonic Gear HP 600 has a padded headrest thingie. :D

Apandi Reviews said...

Hey, thanks for coming. I have that phobia too but its really uncalled for if the volume is just nice such that ambient sound could still be heard.

Ahhhh, the other aspect is a different story heh heh.

Mat Salo said...

I guess you got a lot of time on your hands here... Nice blog this one, very relevant. I suggest you also allow "contributors" to share so banyak knowledge to be passed on...

Apandi Reviews said...

ms, definitely - allow contributors that is - time is something that always have for things that interest you.

nadio said...

i bought this two years after your posting for 45 ringgit at cineleisure. thanks a lot, it's as good as u said it was, and saved me from spending unnecessary amounts on the more expensive ones!