Friday, June 15, 2007

Aprilia SC 200 - Running Cost

The bike was registered on 12 -03-2005 to replace my first scooter, the Modenas Elegan after I got my license (the oldest guy in a class of teenagers). It cost me RM 15,800.00 on the road plus an extra RM 450.00 for the preferred number plate.

Being an Italian costing twice as much as the Taiwanese Elegan, it of course out performs the lesser Elegan except in wind protection. A small price to pay for all the other better bits.

At current fuel prices, RM 12.00 will give me about 170km on my daily 40km commute mainly riding at its optimum speed. Insurance and road tax comes to about RM 300.00 on average. This will of course reduce over the years due to NCB.

1,000 km service;
Engine and gear oil, oil filter and fix a top box to increase cargo space = RM 430.00.

4,000 km service;
Engine and gear oil, oil filter = RM 105.50.

6,500 km service - funny exhaust sound;
Engine and gear oil, oil filter = RM 100.73.

12,000 km service;
Engine, gear and fork oil, oil filter, labour charges = RM 199.78.

16,000 km service - rear brake fluid leaking;
Engine and gear oil, oil filter, labour charges = RM 128.78.

18,000 km service - loss of power at higher speed;
Engine and gear oil, oil filter, spark plug = RM 124.78.

20,000 km service - accident repairs;
Engine oil, rear tyre and brake pads = RM 503.58.

All the above was done at Moto Milia in Bangsar. Great place, nice guys and good work. Their service and friendliness will make it difficult for me to switch brands. But, being practical some repairs had to be done at the local Ah Meng.

The cracked front screen is now bolted on. A whole new set will set me back more than RM 300.00. Bolted by Ah Meng at RM 4.00, (RM1.00 per screw).

The gaping hole where the Aprilia balancer used to be is filled with a green RM 16.00 balancer. Its more colorful but that's not the reason I put it in. I learned in mountain biking that gaping holes on handlebars can seriously carve a chunk of meat from your body, just like cookie cutter through dough.

The new rear tyre and brake pads replaced at Moto Milia. Tyre alone is RM 320.00. Comparatively, the ones on my Honda Jazz is only RM 118.00 per piece. Then again the tyre on my mountain bike is RM 98.00 each. Perspective, I suppose.


The cracked top box base as modified and strenghtened by Ah Meng. Saved me RM 350.00 from getting a new one. Total cost of repairs by Ah Meng RM 30.00, and I gave his boys an extra RM 10.00 for lunch as they really worked to help get these fixed ASAP.

Hopefully, these info would be useful to some of you who are considering biking instead of car-ing to work or wherever. And to those who reads my blog to make sure that I am really on MC after the accident, I am. I have friends whom I can rely on to send the bike for repairs, send me to clinic even buys and joins me for lunch at home. A little advice, learn to trust people so people could trust you too and maybe, just maybe you will make some friends who will always be willing to help you. Oh, don't forget to be sincere and try to always mean what you say. To the rest, sorry for this little ramble.

2 comments:

J.T. said...

Never realised how much it cost to maintain a bike. That's quite a bit of money going out (including repairs after accident).

Having said that, it is fairly cheaper than a car, right?

I agree with you about learning to trust people. We are afraid to trust these days. Glad you have good friends you can rely on.

Apandi Reviews said...

JT, to me its a small price to pay for the huge stress reduction that it gave me, you know, I HATE traffic in KL and driving to and from work daily just drives me crazy.

BTW, my boss just told me to sell of the bike because of the accident... he he he