Monday, June 11, 2007

Thumb Drive

UPDATED COMMENTS in PURPLE

The old thumb drive that is fast reaching the end of its usefulness as my need for ever larger portable storage materialise. Power point presentations and digital photos eats up space ferociously. On the physical side, I am annoyed that the cap of the thumb drive has become loose and tend to fall off. Not that it really matters, its just annoying. Note the dirt and grime due to being attached to the key fob of my bike. It really is a tough little thing able to withstand the heat, humidity, rain and shine of being dangled to the bike in my daily commute.

The new with 4 GB capacity. Cost RM 169.00 which I am sure could be had for much cheaper in Low Yat.

Looks tiny in the package but is actually slightly longer and wider than the old drive.

Cap off and USB connector protruding. Interestingly, the protrusion is spring loaded. The catch has to be pressed down and outwards until it clicks in place so that it does not retract when pushed into the USB port.


Freebie Skype, unfortunately, the offer expires last year.

The U3 software which auto plays and annoys me. Even after formatting, its still there registering itself as the C: drive !

Finally manage to get rid of this annoyance. It resides in a hidden partition taking up about 200 MB. The software autoplays and identifies itself as a CD drive with the LaunchPad programme. Annoying. It could be deleted permanently using the LaunchPad Remover software downloaded from the Sandisk site. This will delete the partition and format the drive.

Removable disc G - even good for Ready Boost in Windows Vista.

Before formatting.

After formatting, 3.8 GB available. The rest of the space most likely taken up by the U3 software and hidden.

Transfer speed between 2 - 5 MB/s. Definitely much faster than the old thumb drive.

The bright red orangey light signifying that it is in use.
Pros: 4.0 GB capacity with no caps to lose and fast transfer speed.
Cons: Annoying U3 software, no lanyard provided.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thumb drives are useful for small files (mine is 512MB only and not updating). I am using external HDs (40G) as backup and also as personal drive for my notebook. I have 3 of these i.e. one for me, one for my son and one for the wife. We use our own HD in the notebook.

Apandi Reviews said...

Sifu, it is you right ? Yeah, we all know yours is small, kah kah kah.

I have the external HD too but mainly for archiving. The tiny thumb drive is for convenience.

J.T. said...

Wow.. I did not know that you could get a 4GB thumb drive for that little money ... and it is not even from Low Yat. I always thought they ran at RM300 or more. Must tell my brother.

Oh yeah, I carried a thumb drive for convenience - at least 1GB, when I was working. Now, no use for it except when travelling to Malaysia. So, I'm not sure if I am going to upgrade anytime. Thanks! :)

Apandi Reviews said...

jt, yes, certain things in life are getting cheaper. BTW, have you gotten your new Vista notebook yet ?

J.T. said...

Not yet... husband said we will wait till MS (Microsoft, not Mat Salo ... haha) fixes the 'bugs'. We did that with XP.

I am itching to get a new laptop, though. I prefer to have a smaller one for travel. Maybe I will buy one before year's end.