Friday, July 20, 2007

Fertigation

Had the opportunity to accompany a friend visiting the site of a fertigation planting effort. This is a method where the farmer has almost total control on the elements of planting. From the environment - higher end projects has climate control (air-cond lahhh) - the planting material, water and nutrients. Very techie and star trek kinda stuff to me, test tubes, electronic switches and gizmos instead of the old farmers tools.

Simply put, water and nutrients are distributed via a network of pipes, the thin black tubes that goes into the plant.

Another type using auto-pot, automatic pot for plants. Imagine that.

The produce, here is a grade B or C rock melon. All about the same size and weight. I was told that grade A - for the Japanese market - would have more prominent veins on its outer shell.

Yellow melons ? Must taste great if chilled and served on a hot Sunday afternoon.

Plum tomatoes. I took one of these and it is one of the sweetest and tastiest. Even better tasting than those offered in KFC salads.

There are many other variety of plants but this one caught my eye. Giant ladies finger. The ones in this picture is among the smaller ones. There are those that are as big and long as my arm in the inner rows. Turns out that these are US imported varieties and cultivated for seedling. Ahhh, you need big long ones to produce good seeds....

5 comments:

J.T. said...

"Ahhh, you need big long ones to produce good seeds...."

The devil's advocate at work again. My mind went straight to the gutter. :D

Those ladies fingers are definitely long. Imagining them in some curries or fried crispy (like some Indian restaurants do) served on a bed of steaming rice, blanketed with some spicy gravy.

Your posting makes me want to start my own vegetable garden, minus high-tech stuff. Just me, my fingers and my talent. I can get a lot done with that. :P

Apandi Reviews said...

He he he, you took the bait. Was just waiting for you to comment on that, bonus points for you, fingers and talent kah kah kah...

Mat Salo said...

Hmmm... glad this this fertigasi thing looks like it might take off...

Hmmm, just wondering what JT was referring to... ;)

Anonymous said...

HI BRO..
THESE GREEN HOUSE PICS LOOKS FAMILIAR TO ME.
I EVEN KNEW THE OWNER N THE LOCATION.
DONT THINK U HAVE THE RIGHTS TO SIMPLY TOOK THE PICS WITHOUT PERMISSION...

Apandi Reviews said...

Anon, thank you for the reminder, but it was with permission that I took pictures of the place. The owner was kind enough to accommodate our visit and to tell us about the technicalities of his work. BTW, it would be COURTEOUS not to shout, don't you think ?