Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Motorola Razr v8 & W220.






For the past decade or so, since I discovered the Palm Pilot and subsequently Windows based PDA phones, it became the primary tool for my mobile communications needs. I don't really need much actually, just the odd calls. PDA made more sense as my mobile data is more important. Recently these changed as my current work requires more mobile talk time, data remains essential but communications moved up a notch. Hence the need for a tool that is more biased towards telephony.

I still keep my PDA thus looked out for something cheap, basic and durable that I can just shove in my jeans. The Motorola W220 fits the bill, a cheap no frills flip phone. The only extra is its built in radio tuner. The black facade in the front cover hides some lighted icons for calls, sms and battery status. These only came on when required to do so. Battery life is excellent. The only thing I did not get was speaker phone function, thus it became less than ideal for my purpose.

It was also at this time that the Razr v8 was launched. I wasn't too impressed but went to the shops nevertheless to check it out. Impressive specs, 500MB internal storage, speaker phones, blue tooth bla bla bla. Feels good in the hands. So I got it. Connected to the PC, it behaves just like a thumb drive - you need to tell it to do so - instead of syncing via software. Just drag and drop and it became an MP3 player. The only thing that I dislike about it is the fact that the shiny surface is a magnet for thumb prints. Oh, and also the fact that Motorola refuses to use the standard mini USB connector...

The W220 = RM 399.00 and I get a free Motorola Lanyard;
The Razr V8 = RM 1,699.00 and I get free protective screen for the front and internal screen.

No comments: