Sunday, December 2, 2007

Malaysian Ateliers

Once in a couple months I have this urge to go out and buy something for myself. Gadgets, electronics, pricey stuff that I don't really need but want. This week, I have been hankering for a new watch. The Ball is fine but I need a divers watch to replace the one that was stolen when my house was broken into some time back. With a few option in mind I set out to buy that watch. This short review is not about the watch but more about the shops that I visited in my quest. Before I begin, bear in mind that I am in jeans, shirt and sandals, definitely does not look like your typical million dollar shopper.

I started in KLCC. Went into Sincere, said good morning and asked about the particular brand. The lady (older than the other) just sat there and curtly replied. Don't have, try upstairs. No good morning, nothing.

Next stop the Hour Glass. An Indian chap was kind enough to humour me and the look on his face shows it. He did not have the model that I want and the price offered was at RMx,900.00. He wasn't really trying to make a sale with me. Not even a tiny recommendation or effort, merely answering my questions. I thanked him and left.

Looked through Emotus, did not speak to anyone, though they were kind enough to let me browse without pestering me or following me around.

Went into Rolex just for the heck of it. Same reaction, the lady just answered my question and seemed annoyed when I asked what the cheapest Rolex was. To make matters worse, as soon as I stood up, she took out her spray bottle and wiping cloth and furiously cleaned the counter where I was sitting on. Rude. I may look shabby but I am certainly not dirty.

Got a taxi and went to Cortina in Starhill. Greeted and welcomed to browse. Offered some recommendations and choices, showed some pieces that were not in the display case. Treated as a customer. I felt good and finally bought my watch from them. To add icing to the cake, it was offered at RMx,350.00.

To those KLCC outlets, I hope they learn to value all their customers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

kenapa tak beli 2?

Apandi Reviews said...

Laaa, kalau ko cakap haritu aku beli 2.... bila ko nak melawat site aku nie ?

den said...

cant believe that nowadays those so called professional retail outlets still have this kind of sales personnel / supervisor altho' a lot of stories about "ah pek in singlet n short looking for mehcedis" has been heard

apa salahnya if they serve the customer or are they trained not to serve certain segment of customers? There is nothing to lose what?

so lening kira kena makanG byk sikit lah sbb jam ditangan kiri tu berat, need more energy to lift your left hand!

Zemm said...

What is wrong with these people? They seem to practice double standards. If you were a kwailo walking into their store, they will entertain you, smile at you, or even worship you. As if we Malaysians don't carry enough Dollars in our wallet.

Anonymous said...

site yg mana satu?

Unknown said...

damn those salesperson, as if they are really rich themselves. come on la, you never know who will walk in and really buy your stuffs.

last week i saw a titoni limited edition cheng ho edition(that chinese admiral, not my chemistry teacher: sorry mr saw cheng ho)selling for less than rm4k. world time function.600th anniversary commemorative limited edition. limited to 600 units only.
see this link to view the watch.

http://curiosity-corner.com.sg/Category.asp?CID=15

i was dreaming of Omega Seamaster (when i get my master, will surely get one) have to be contented with my seiko chronograph and 5 sports for now. the cheng ho edition looks nice too.

zulfa